DIY Video Guide: How to Cook Lobster at Home
Nothing hits the spot like a lobster feast, but dining out to enjoy this seafood meal can cost you. A simple solution? Make it at home! It may sound intimidating, but with this easy video guide you can transform your kitchen into a five star seafood restaurant. Get cracking!
What You’ll Need:
- Medium-sized pot with lid
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 (3-pound) lobster
- Kitchen shears
- Nutcracker or seafood cracker
- Small fork or seafood fork
- Cutting board
- 1 medium bowl
- Pastry brush
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Herbs of your choice (parsley, cilantro or chives)
How to Cook Lobster:
- Fill a medium-sized pot with about 2 inches of cold water.
- Add vinegar and a large pinch of salt to the water.
- Place the lid on the pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Clip the rubber bands from the lobster’s claws with kitchen shears.
- Place the lobster head first into the pot and cover so it returns to a boil.
- Cook the lobster for 12-15 minutes with the lid on until it turns bright red.
- Remove the lobster from the pot with tongs and place on a plate to cool.
How to Break Down Lobster:
- Once the lobster is cool, place it on a cutting board and break off each claw.
- Crack the claws with the seafood cracker and take out the meat with a seafood fork.
- Put the shell pieces on a plate to the side to separate them from the meat.
- Repeat with other claw pieces.
- With your hands, twist the tail from the body and place the body shell with the other shell pieces.
- Discard the shell pieces, or, if desired, use them for a seafood stock.
- Cut the underside of the tail lengthwise with kitchen shears, being careful not to cut the meat.
- Pry open the shell around the tail with your hands and pull out the meat in one piece.
How to Serve Lobster:
- Melt one stick of unsalted butter in a small bowl in the microwave and add in a handful of fresh, chopped herbs.
- Place the lobster meat on a plate with fresh lemon slices and the herbed butter.
- Squeeze the fresh lemon, to taste, and brush the herbed butter onto the lobster meat with a pastry brush.
- Cooking times: For one pound lobsters, boil for about 7 minutes. Add 3 more minutes for each additional pound.
- If you’re cooking more than one lobster, choose a larger pot and stir halfway through cooking.
- When removing the meat from the shell, feel carefully with your fingertips for any small bits of shell stuck to the meat.